Followers

Monday, July 7, 2008

Scala, XSLT, Java, JSTL, XML

Well, since last thursday I have been reviewing this new super language called Scala it sits on top of Java or .NET (which means you can use all of the libraries of these two platforms). This is great! I have another 3 words for it: I Love it. One big reason it's such a plus for me is because you can mix Scala code and XHTML (or xml)  at the same level so for instance:

var aVarName = insert html code here (the blogger won't allow it); 

Thats right, it's that easy. There is even a full online XML book for Scala available. Just follow the links off of scala-lang.org and you'll find it. Anyway, I found that I wasen't getting much work done so I started work under XSLT on Sunday which made be feel better again. I think I'll just save Scala 's tutorial for times I need to wait for things in real life. Otherwise, It's onwards with the programming languages for the masses. I really enjoy programming and all the varieties of languages. But when I'm not implementing my head goes dry and I get depressed not good. Always good to bounce ideas and plans with those you know so you can ingrain this knowledge.

I'm about to make a simple program to weed out defintion text from wikipedia.org's site using XSTLproc. The example I have works fine , but the implementation I wrote doesn't , so the solution is just a matter of blending both together (I get no errors either).

Until next time,

JohnnyL

No comments:

About Me

I am a programmer who enjoys the simple things in life.