Followers

Saturday, May 19, 2007

GNU, Free Software, Open source

How can you not love these things? All 3 of them? When I was aware of linux in 1995 I thought that it wouldn't be able to compete with NT. NT having a superior kernel design. But by 1999 had blown me away completly. I went to a borders books and looked at a SuSE box. Hmmm, c64 emulation? I have to get it! Then as time went on I again became familiar with a Un*x clone. Needless to say I have been using it ever since, Only last year was when I completely converted to Linux. I am using SuSE as we speak. It can do much, even on a 64 bit version. All my software is compiled for 64 bit. And problems? Very rare to speak of. I can't think of any offhand. I can leave it on for like 2 weeks and everything still works fine. Oh thats right, SuSE does expand to how much ram you have. Which is a feature I dislike because it's not very smart in what it does. On the other hand I have never had so much reliability on my computer since I used the Commodore 64 (I Adore my C64).

No one learns from closed source (unless you want to waste time reverse engineering megabytes of assembler source.) Free Software will eventually prevail and then we will wonder what we ever did without it.

On the c64 basic was open source. (everything old is new again). Assembler was a bit of open source too, you just had to create the labels based on the algorithm in the assembler dump from a disassembler. With C, you have lot's a this crufty support code that is usually not the most effiecient in the world. But I'm not sure who the ad-wizards who programmed Visual Basic where doing (I used to be a VB programmer in another life) I wrote some code in VB which would have taken several days to complete nonstop (it was a 20 meg file processor). In c optimized it took 3 seconds.

I enjoyed programming in C at this time. Wishing I had more work to do in that languages, but dozens of LI IT companies have basically said they didn't need my talent. What sort of personality where they looking for? Would I have broken them up by sharing in the wonders of life and liberty or where they looking for someone who would ask no questions. I'm not sure at all. But do you see where I am going with this, companies distrust and are in fear, that was my impression of them. The best jobs in the closed source industry is the ones where you don't need an interview. Others put shackles on you and expect you to behave at their wim. too bad, because that model is overdone and outdated. Again, open source and Free software will eventually prevail because of this behaviour.

Most mportantly we have to stick together as a communinity. Things like LILUG.org are the best thing in the word for the software industry. Part of it reminds me when I was a kid on my c64 and we would have game parties. There was almost nothing in the world better than this. Let's continues to create together for the future looks bright!

John

No comments:

About Me

I am a programmer who enjoys the simple things in life.